Have you ever gone to Costco and bought those their lemon poppy seed muffins? And by muffins I mean cakes, because those things are enormous. However, they are delicious. So I went online to try and make something equally delicious myself since, in my books, lemon in anything = instant perfection. I’ve made this recipe at least 10 times, and even taken it to my boss’ house (and that obviously requires perfection). Here’s what you’ll need:
See, simple and tasty, all at once! Hope you have a wonderful week!
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
3 tbsp (45 mL) poppy seeds
1 tbsp (15 mL) grated lemon rind
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
1/3 cup (75 mL) lemon juice
- In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, poppy seeds, lemon rind, baking powder and salt
- Stir into butter mixture alternately with milk, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 of milk.
- Spread in greased 8- x 4-inch (1.5 L) loaf pan.
- Bake in centre of 325°F (160°C) oven for 1 hour or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Place pan on rack.
- In saucepan or microwaveable measure, warm together sugar and lemon rind and juice until sugar dissolves.
- With skewer, pierce hot loaf in 12 places right to bottom; pour lemon syrup over loaf.
- Let loaf cool in pan for 30 minutes; turn out onto rack and let cool completely.
- Wrap and let stand for 12 hours before slicing.