It’s birthday time again in my family and that means time for me to make some cakes. My parents never tell me what kind of cake they want so it usually turns into me baking whatever I want. This year my dads’ birthday was the same day I got home so I had to bake this cake in a hurry. And what’s quicker than apple cake? Ok, there’s probably plenty that’s quicker, but not the point. I thought this came out pretty well. One of those desserts that tastes better the next day. The topping gives it a glorious caramelized appearance and taste 🙂
Recipe adapted from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-Cake-IV/Detail.aspx?evt19=1&scale=12&ismetric=0
2 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cup flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup walnuts (I didn’t have any on hand, but if I did I would definitely add them in)
Topping: 2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) lightly grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.
- Sift together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar for 15 minutes on high speed with an electric mixer. Add oil and blend in.
- Add four mixture and mix well. Add vanilla. Fold in apples and nuts. Pour batter into 9×13 inch pan.
- In a small bowl, mix 4 teaspoons sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.